home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Monday, September 9, 2013

Fall Into Flats!

Since I now live in a spritely neighborhood that is growing by leaps and bounds, (Midtown Memphis, The Cooper Young District), I feel the need to leap and bound along with it. Unfortunately, my shoe choices are slim when it comes to comfort AND fashion. This area is known for its vast choices of community events; almost every weekend boasts something new and exciting to see within walking distance of my centrally located house.
While my Remix Wedges are still my FAVORITE shoes for walking or dancing, they were expensive and I am not in a hurry to wear them out.
And sadly, my espadrille sandals won't be seasonally appropriate much longer. So I made it my mission to find something that works for my active new lifestyle but also my vintage inspired wardrobe. Let's go browsing, shall we?

First on our shopping trip:

As much as I love vintage style, I also love when shoes have a little bit of a modern whisper to them. These, by Blowfish, are right up my alley. I love an ankle strap and these are casual but chic. I would wear them with an A-line skirt and vintage top or with a casual shirtdress and cardigan.


Priced at 39.00 at zappos.

For a stylish walking shoe,anything under 100.00 is a steal! These metallic ballet-style flats by Earthies stood out to me. Metallics are my choice for neutral shoes because they look classic and interesting simultaneously, especially for those of us who are not interested in a lot of jewelry. These would go with a variety of things, from jeans to dresses.

Priced around 80.00 at The Walking Company.

Pin Up Girl Clothing has a bunch of comfortable and affordable options, currently. These patent ankle strap flats are perfect for cigarette pants and pencil skirts:

Priced at 44.00

For print dresses and skirts, a solid colorful shoe is one of my favorite things! Don't worry about exact match with the outfit you're wearing; the point is to find a statement hue that complements your ensemble. This green is a good color for summer and fall!


Move over Crocs! Mel by Melissa is a stylish 'synthetic' shoe that satisfies my 80's 'Jelly-Shoe' passion but also complements my vintage tastes. They have a reputation for being affordable (most pairs under 50.00) and comfortable too. Since some of them have a vented texture, they may not be ideal for very cold climates, unless you wear them with a pair of tights.

both pairs, 45.00 on Zappos

For sportier gals, I have always been a fan of VANS. I had a ballet style sneaker from them that lasted for eons and looked cute with all my activewear. These are my current favorites. I want to wear them with a pleated skirt and tee shirt!
Vans Era sneakers-55.00 on Zappos

Finally, I can't post a 'flats' blog entry without mentioning Easy Spirit, often equated with older ladies and overlooked by the younger crowd. I own a cute pair of leopard print suede ballet flats and have walked MILES in them, with no ill effects. I really like this bejeweled pewter pair, great for a flirty black dress and a less predictable option than a basic black shoe. You can walk to the opera in these:

Giota flats available for 79.00 at Easy Spirit's website. But I'll bet you can find them cheaper.


Feel free to share your favorite footwear sites in the comments! Remember that dance shoes are also usually a good option for walking, as long as the sole isn't too slick. So don't overlook dance supply shops either, when considering flat footwear purchases. Til next time, happy hoofing!

XoXo
Ashley

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ooosh! Love them all especially the 2nd one! I have "croc" wedges (that don't look like crocs at all thank god!) from ebay brand new never worn for £5!Ebay is a good place to look
Georgia
xxxx

Hello Jodi said...

You know, those Remix wedges look a lot like Danskos. I go on Dansko buying binges on eBay and never pay more than $20. Bonus: someone else did the work of breaking them in.

Unknown said...

I wonder if you could do a youtube vid about dressing casual yet vintage - I'm talking for days when you have to clean or help someone move - I never have anything to wear for those occasions!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love a good flat! Heels are my arch enemy!

I am a Vans girl, too, and love their skimmer flats and basic skate shoes in a bright colour like hot pink or purple.

Dr. Martens has really come around to feminine shoes and I just picked up a pair of Carnabys in floral: https://www.drmartenscanada.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=carnaby&x=0&y=0

I also like B.A.I.T and Modcloth.

Post a Comment