home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Wednesday, September 15, 2010

'Diamonds and Dames' Episode 12~Lovely Lorraine!


I had a request for a look requiring 'side combs' so I decided to incorporate it into this week's installment of "Diamonds and Dames". One of the first suggestions I received in this series, was for the simple look worn by Heather Graham in the 1996 film, 'Swingers'. She was only in the film for a short time but she definitely made an impact!

The looks is almost too simple...

Step One:
Set the hair using hot rollers, pin curls (which will lend an even more authentic 1940's feel ), or Hot Sticks.

Step Two:
Brush out the curls after the rollers have cooled and been released. Your hair should be center parted for this look and it is usually best to part the hair before you roll, so I guess I should have mentioned that first.

Step Three:
Coat hands with pomade (I use Layrite-available here on my shop), and sweep back the side and top hair over one ear, using your hands or a brush.

Step Four:
Twist this section in a downward motion until you reach the ear. Insert a side comb (preferably Grip Tuth Side Combs) just behind that twist, close to the ear. Repeat on the other side; rearrange your bottom curls and you're ready to 'Swing'!




______________________
Swingers (1996)
Directed By:Doug Liman
Starring: Vince Vaughn, Jon Favreau


Film Synopsis:
Sullen Mike (Jon Favreau)is reeling over a difficult breakup with a longtime girlfriend when he moves to Los Angeles to become, of all things, a comedian. Struggling with both finding footing in his career and a broken heart, he seeks out the companionship of 'Swinger' Trent, a 'rat pack' throwback and self proclaimed ladies man. In spite of Trent's efforts, visits to high energy nightspots, and a slew of well-wishing friends, Mike's self loathing seems to escalate. It isn't until he meets Lorraine at a swing-dancing venue, that he is able to finally regain a little of his mojo. And possibly a new life.

3 comments:

Kim said...

You must be psychic because I was thinking of writing an anti-victory roll blog and emphasizing the under-use of side combs in vintage styling. I don't know if you noticed in Vegas, I always wear side combs. So much easier and faster than rolls.

Are you going to the Rhythm Rocker in Long Beach next month?

Cheers!
Kim Smallwood

Unknown said...

Beautiful Look as always, big congratulations and best wishes during your pregnancy.
I know this isnt to do with this look but i was wondering if you would think of doing a classic Eva Peron stlye with all the rolls in the front.
Lots of love from Ireland

Unknown said...

Lisa. it's time you started thinking of putting a book together. Your idea of movie hairstyles is pure genius and very marketable.

Post a Comment